Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Red Cross Needs People who Speak Creole and English

If you speak both creole and english, please read below.  If you know someone who does please pass this on.

The American Red Cross is looking to deploy 100 Creole interpreters to workon the hospital ship USNS Comfort, which will be harbored outside Port-au-Prince.  Volunteers need to be fluent in Creole and English. Other skills are helpful but not required.

 Things to keep in mind:

 (1) The ship will be deployed for a month;

 (2) Volunteers won't be able to leave the ship during that time; and

 (3) They will not have luxurious quarters. It is important to stress the second point: The interpreters will stay on the ship to assist and won't be able to get off the ship to see family in Haiti.

 We are looking for volunteers to be in Miami no later than Wednesday night/Thursday morning (January 20/21). The Red Cross may be able to provide accommodations for those coming from out of town.  All volunteers would be fully trained, either in Miami, or at their home chapters of the Red Cross before they come to Miami.  Again, no skills are required beyond speakingboth Creole and English. Anyone interested in this opportunity will be contacted ASAP with additional steps. Please communicate to me immediately if you have persons who can do this and contact information.

Michael A. Blake
Deputy Associate Director
The White House - Offices of Intergovernmental Affairs & Public Engagement
(202) 456-4772 - Office
(202) 503-5649 - Cell

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Charles:

    I want to let you know that I have copied your post in its entirety and pasted into my blog along with the link to your blog and entry. I am going to post it in other places as well in the same way. I hope it is okay for me to do that.
    If it is wrong for me to do that, I appologized and will immediately remove it. Also if you have any questions or information you want included/added/updated please don't hesitate to contact me.
    I also want to say quickly that I agreed with your article on CNN and others and will comment further after I pass on your information about interpreters to my contacts.

    Sincerely,
    Colleen Hamson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Blake had overwhelming response from Haitians who wanted to help and I am so proud of our Haitian communities here in the U.S. I tried, all the volunteer spots had been filled as of last saturday.

    ReplyDelete