Monday, October 3, 2011

Florida Moves its Primary Date . . . and I Feel Fine

As in 2008, Florida moved its presidential primary almost a month ahead of the date authorized by the Republican National Committee.  This means that Florida leapfrogs the votes in  Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada.  Officials in those affected stats are none-too-happy about it, and I can's say that I blame them.  

I'll say this: I have never been to New Hampshire, and have spent very little time in South Carolina and Nevada. I have spent far more time in Iowa.  And every time I go to that lovely state, I ask myself the same question: how in the world do we allow this state to play such an influential role in choosing presidential candidates?  No offense to Iowa, but I can hardly think of a state less representative of the nation as a whole.  

Florida's move makes me wonder: how will the affected states go?  Will they call Florida's bluff?

I wouldn't bet on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment